Application and Prerequisite Courses
The Physician Assistant Program at The University of Iowa is a non-thesis, 28-month graduate level program awarding the Master of Physician Assistant Studies (M.P.A.S.) degree upon completion. One class of 25 students is enrolled in August each year. Applications are accepted starting in April (date established by CASPA) with a deadline for completed application on November 1st. All application materials including GRE/MCAT scores, 3 recommendations (1 must be from an academic reference and 1 must be from a health care experience supervisor), and college transcripts must be received by CASPA by the November 1st deadline. Under present Carver College of Medicine regulations, applications will only be accepted from U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
Prerequisite requirements for the M.P.A.S. program:
- Baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution in the United States.
- Introductory and advanced (upper division) level courses.
- Minimum cumulative and science GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or attain a science GPA of 3.0 on the most recently completed 40 semester hours of science coursework (A = 4.0).
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) general test or MCAT (if taken, strongly encouraged to submit) taken within the last 10 years.
- A minimum of 1,000 hours of direct patient health care experience by December 31st prior to the year of matriculation.
- In addition, all applicants must be able to meet the program's technical standards.
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required of all applicants for whom English is not their native language. The TOEFL requirement may be waived for applicants with Masters or Doctoral degrees from an accredited US institution. The scores must be sent directly from the Educational Testing Service (ETS) to the PA Program office. Only the IBT (Internet Based Test) form of the TOEFL will be accepted. A total score of 93 and a speaking score of 26 will be a prerequisite for entry into the program.
Application for the class beginning August 2017 should be made through the Central Application System for Physician Assistants (CASPA). Please visit the CASPA Web site for more information. All materials for application need to be received by CASPA by the November 1st deadline. GRE scores should be sent to CASPA using our CASPA GRE Code, "0466 U Iowa Phys Asst CASPA". Applicant should send their MCAT results directly to The University of Iowa PA Program.