Admission to the UI Carver College of Medicine Perfusion Technology Program is competitive. Admission is determined by committee and is based on grade point average, references, application essay, and interviews. We typically accept 3-5 students per year with GPAs ranging from 2.9-4.0.
- Bachelor's degree
- 9 semester hours of chemistry with biochemistry or organic
- 3 semester hours of biostatistics
- 5 semester hours of precalculus mathematics
- 4 semester hours of physics
- 7 semester hours of human anatomy and physiology
Applying to the program
For expedited processing and review, we strongly suggest the following be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Application form
- One page essay describing why you chose perfusion technology as a career and your plans as a perfusionist (may be emailed in MS Word format)
- Prerequisite courses form
- Passport-sized photo
The following items may be sent by mail:
- Official college transcripts
- 3 completed applicant references
- Application fee ($50 due with application, make check payable to the University of Iowa Perfusion Technology Program)
- Documentation of clinical observation
To gain insight into the perfusion profession, we strongly recommend you document having seen at least one cardiopulmonary bypass case. If this is not possible, interview a clinical perfusionist and ask about the following:
- Call responsibilities/quality of life
- Clinical responsibilities
- Unique stresses faced by perfusionists
- Job outlook
Be prepared to discuss your findings during the interview process.
The aforementioned items may be mailed to:
Perfusion Technology Program
University of Iowa Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery
200 Hawkins Drive, SE545 GH
Iowa City, IA 52242-1062
- Regular admission is due by January 1
- First consideration is given to on-time applicants. Applications submitted after January 1 are processed on a space-available basis. Late applications will be accepted through June 1.
- Regular admission interviews are held during the month of February.
- Late admission interviews are held during June.
- Regular admission offers occur during March/April.
- Late admission offers occur during July.