About the Program
Welcome to the University of Iowa Department of Emergency Medicine at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. We appreciate your interest in our Emergency Medicine Physician Assistant Residency Program. We offer an 18-month postgraduate Physician Assistant Residency Program that is linked to the only Emergency Medicine physician residency program in the state of Iowa. As an Emergency Medicine Physician Assistant (EM-PA) resident you will have the opportunity to specialize in the field of Emergency Medicine while working alongside physician residents and seasoned clinicians at one of the top medical centers in the country.
Our fundamental philosophy is to:
- Train Emergency Medicine Physician Assistants with the core competencies and skills sets allowing them to practice in any emergency, acute care, or intensive care setting, including solo coverage of a critical access hospital emergency department with remote physician back-up
- Provide flexibility in training to meet individualized learning needs
- Foster academic EM through scientific discovery, expertise in EM subspecialties, and peer-to-peer learning
The University of Iowa EM-PA program is the first EM-PA program in the country to attain program accreditation from the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant, Inc. Accreditation - Clinical Postgraduate Program is a status granted when a new or currently accredited postgraduate physician assistant program is in compliance with the Standards for Clinical Postgraduate Programs.
We invite you to consider the advantages of the Iowa Physician Assistant Emergency Medicine Residency:
- Iowa is THE premiere Rural Emergency Medicine program in the country.
- We have a beautiful, state-of-the-art, 60,000 square feet Emergency Department.
- The University of Iowa Emergency Department is number one among academic centers for the shortest waiting times for patients and has strong customer service scores. We will teach you to provide rapid, efficient care to patients while maintaining kind and compassionate service.
- The University of Iowa is a 640-bed hospital and serves eastern Iowa as the only Level 1 trauma center and burn center in the state.
- Abundant clinical experience comes from our burgeoning patient census, and more than a fifth of our patients are pediatric.
- The Emergency Medicine residents get a longitudinal EMS experience starting with RAGBRAI medical coverage as interns, followed by event medicine coverage at Iowa Hawkeyes football games, basketball games and wrestling matches.
- The University of Iowa is one of the top research institutions in the nation providing unparalleled resources. Our Department has many ongoing clinical, basic science and translational research projects.
- The Iowa School of Wilderness Medicine: A comprehensive Wilderness Medicine course for medical students that is operated by and taught by Emergency Medicine physicians and physician assistant residents.
- Outstanding, nationally-recognized clinical faculty who originate from all over the country. Teachers who have recognized that The University of Iowa is a very special place and have come here to help create a world-class teaching institution.
The University of Iowa EM-PA program is the first EM-PA program in the country to attain program accreditation from the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant, Inc.
Accreditation - Clinical Postgraduate Program is a status granted when a new or currently accredited postgraduate physician assistant program is in compliance with the Standards for Clinical Postgraduate Programs.