J. Lawrence Marsh, MD
Welcome to the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics Department of Orthopedics and Rehabilitation website. We are currently ranked 16th nationally in the 2016-2017 U.S. News & World Report. We provide the most complete bone and joint health services in Iowa. Physicians from across the Midwest refer patients to the University of Iowa because of our comprehensive array of services, our multidisciplinary approach, our state-of-the-art facilities and our national reputation for excellence. The following items below share just a small portion of our proud history and continued efforts to maintain excellence in the field of orthopedics.
- The University of Iowa is the location where Dr. Ignacio V. Ponseti developed the Ponseti technique, the most widely practiced method for initial treatment of infants born with clubfeet.
- The Orthopedics department sees more than 70,000 patients in outpatient clinics yearly and performs more than 7,000 orthopedic operations per year.
- Designated as Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield Blue Distinction Center™ -recognized for our expertise and efficiency in delivery of care for knee and hip replacements as well as spine surgery.
- Over 100 years of leading national orthopedic surgery department.
- The University of Iowa Hawkeye team physicians and surgeons.
- A commitment to excellence in cutting edge research and education.
- Our commitment to women in the orthopedic field stretches back for decades. Dr. Ruth Jackson was the first practicing female orthopedic surgeon in the United States. Dr. Jackson received her residency training at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics Department of Orthopedics.