Medical Student Training

Teaching involvement by pediatrics faculty spans the full spectrum of medical student education including coursework, clerkship (required of all ME students) and elective experiences. The complex nature of pediatrics as a discipline and the limited prior experience of students with pediatric patients make it necessary to provide clerkship experience that includes primary care, office-based practice, specialty pediatrics, and inpatient care. Approximately 80% of M3 students complete the pediatric clerkship at the University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital and associated sites; the remaining 20% complete the clerkship at Blank Children’s Hospital in Des Moines. Faculty also provide internships and elective experiences for M4 students.