The Department of Psychiatry at the University of Iowa provides a comprehensive array of clinical services for individuals across the lifespan with mental health challenges. Our multidisciplinary approach includes psychiatrists, psychologists, nurses, social workers, occupational and recreational therapists and others, all striving to work collaboratively with patients and families to help all to achieve optimally satisfying and productive and lives.
Outpatient services include:
- General Adult Psychiatry Outpatient clinic, which evaluates and treats adults and older adults with mental health challenges
- Child and Adolescent Outpatient clinic evaluates and treats those 17 years and younger with behavioral and mental health challenges
- Women’s wellness clinic with particular expertise in the evaluation and treatment of mental health problems in the context of pregnancy and childbirth.
- An Assertive Community Treatment team (IMPACT) for adults with serious and persistent mental illness who may benefit from more extensive in-home supports and services
Inpatient services include:
- A 22-bed general adult psychiatry unit with particular multidisciplinary expertise in mood and eating disorders
- A 22-bed general adult psychiatry unit with particular multidisciplinary expertise in schizophrenia and related psychotic disorders, and behavioral disorders associated with intellectual impairment and brain injury.
- A 14-bed geriatric psychiatry unit with multidisciplinary expertise in mental illness among older adults
- A 14-bed child and adolescent unit with multidisciplinary expertise in mental illness among children and teens.
- A 15 bed medical psychiatry unit with multidisciplinary expertise in co-occurring acute mental and physical illnesses.
Partial Hospital services include:
- A daily (Monday-Friday, 9 am – 5 pm) intensive program specifically designed for adults with mental health challenges who are in crisis, and need a high level of support but do not require hospitalization.
- A daily (Monday –Friday, 9 am – 5 pm) intensive program specifically designed for adults with co-occurring mental health and substance abuse challenges