Logo for University of Iowa Health Care This logo represents the University of Iowa Health Care

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I make a U-bill payment?

  • You can pay electronically after you've set up banking information on MyUI (no credit card payments are accepted).
  • Students also can pay their U-bill at the UI Servie Center.  (2700 University Capitol Center) during office hours from 8 to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Payments will be posted no later than the following day. The account will therefore be restricted overnight, but the restriction will be removed the following morning when payments are processed.
  • A further option is to send in your payment to the Payment Processing Center in Minneapolis. This method will take 7-10 days to process.

The University of Iowa
Payment Processing Center
PO Box 077208
Minneapolis, MN 55480-7200

I’m a continuing student…do I still have to fill out a FAFSA?

Yes. In order to be considered for aid programs administered by the Office of Student Financial Aid, you must file the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) each year. You will need be notified to complete your IVF (Iowa Verification Form) when your FAFSA has been reviewed. The application is not completed until your IVF/tax forms are received.

How do I get my 1098-T form?

These forms will be mailed to your residing address on file with the university by January 31. The form itself will contain the following information reported to the Internal Revenue Service: student name, address, social security number, whether the student was in a graduate program, if enrolled at half time or more, the total qualified tuition and fees billed, and total amount of gift aid for the calendar year reported.

Note: The 1098T information is also available on MyUI.

Can you use my upcoming financial aid disbursement to pay on my current U-bill?

Federal loan funds can only be used to pay for charges incurred during the semester for which the financial aid was approved, unless the student signs a one-time authorization that allows the University Billing Office to apply loan funds toward charges dating from a previous session. If the student signs this authorization, the maximum that may be applied toward previous session charges is $200. Any remaining unpaid charges from a previous term must be paid in full before excess financial aid funds can be refunded for the current semester. Students may sign this authorization at the University Billing Office, Room 5, Calvin Hall.

I had a fellowship this past summer. Is this taxable income?

Fellowships/Scholarships are not taxable if they do not exceed the cost of your tuition, books, and fees. Scholarships and fellowships are treated as tax-free amounts if all of the following conditions are met:

  • You are a candidate for a degree at an educational institution
  • Amounts you receive as a scholarship or fellowship are used for tuition and fees required for enrollment or attendance at the educational institution, or for books, supplies, and equipment required for courses of instruction
  • The amounts received are not a payment for your services unless required by the National Health Service Corps Scholarship Program or the Armed Forces Health Professions Scholarship and Financial Assistance Program

Will I get something from the University showing how much I earned for my fellowship?

You can access this information on MyUI or UI Self-Service by January 31 of each year. ‘Year End Taxes’ – ‘Fellowship Payments’.

I don’t have my (and/or my parent’s) tax information, can I still submit my FAFSA?

Yes, you can file the FAFSA using estimated income amounts. The University of Iowa Office of Student Financial Aid will update those estimates to actual figures after you submit a photocopy of the federal tax return(s) to them. Your application for financial aid will not be reviewed by the Office of Student Financial Aid until the actual federal tax returns and the Iowa Verification Form (IVF) are submitted to the University of Iowa Office of Student Financial Aid.

My family and I have unusual circumstances. How can I reflect that on my FAFSA?

You must complete the FAFSA accurately, giving the actual numbers requested. You will have the opportunity to provide information about your special circumstances to the University of Iowa Office of Student Financial Aid when you complete the Iowa Verification Form (IVF).

I was in the MECO program. How do I get my tax information?

The hospital you worked with should send you the information. It could come in the form of a W-2 or 1099-Misc form by January 31 of each year. You would enter this amount as ‘untaxed income’ unless you’re filing with a spouse with income. Then you would put it in the ‘other income’ section.

How can I tell if you’ve received everything that is needed after I get my award letter?

You can check MyUI to verify completion of your master promissory note (MPN) and/or entrance counseling, which will prevent your loans from disbursing. When in MyUI, click on the heading Student Records, then under the Financial Aid heading, click on Award Summary and scroll down to Section D (Loan Document Status). After completing the MPN or Entrance Counseling, allow a few days for the received status to appear on MyUI.

How do I cancel or reduce my student loan?

While federal loan funds are applied to your U-bill first for tuition and fees, it's possible you may have excess funds refunded to you if your loans exceed your tuition costs. If you are requesting to cancel or reduce your loan, we will make the changes; however, you may be billed, on an upcoming U-bill, for all or a portion of the loan funds that you might have already received. If you are billed for funds received, we will mail you a revised award notification after we have completed the decline and/or reduction request. Please be patient, as this process can take two weeks. For the future, please try to notify us of any cancellations or reductions at least a month before each term begins.

How will I know if my FAFSA has been processed by the federal processor?

You can check the status of your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) immediately after submitting it online. You can check the status of a paper FAFSA after it has been processed (roughly 7-10 days from the date mailed).To check the status of your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), go to the FAFSA on the Web home page and click Start Here to log in, or call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243). If your FAFSA is still being processed, we recommend that you wait a few days before checking the status again.

Which parent fills out the FAFSA if my parents are divorced/separated?

The parent you lived with more during the last 12 months. If you did not live with either parent or if you lived with each parent an equal amount of time, provide information for the parent who provided the most support to you during the last 12 months or during the most recent calendar year that you actually received support from a parent. If this parent is remarried as of the date you are filing the FAFSA, provide information on the FAFSA about that parent and the person whom your parent married (your stepparent).

How can I be classified as a resident of Iowa for tuition purposes?

The Registrar's Office determines the classification of residents and nonresidents for tuition purposes. Information is available on the Registrar's web site: https://registrar.uiowa.edu/residency

How can I repay my loans while I'm still in school or look at my loan balances?

You can look up your current loan information at www.studentaid.gov

Here is a list of contact information for the various PDF iconloan servicers