Recognizing that a smooth transition to medical school enhances a student’s educational experiences, the Carver College of Medicine offers Introduction to Medical Education at Iowa (IMEI) to admitted medical students. Through a variety of educational formats, including large and small group sessions, anatomy labs, clinical observations, computer-based exams, and study groups, students enrolled can expect this experience to:
- Facilitate the transition into medical school life by providing introductory material in Anatomy, Genetics, Metabolism, Oxygenation, and Clinical and Professional Skills.
- Provide an introduction to Case-Based Learning and practice, using this approach to solve clinical problems in small groups with faculty facilitators.
- Provide instruction on medical school study skills, test-taking, time management, and adjusting to medical school.
- Offer early exposure to the medical school environment, providing an orientation to campus life and community resources.
Dates of the Program
The six-week program begins Monday, June 12, 2017 and concludes at noon on Friday, July 21, 2017.
Each week, activities are scheduled Monday through Friday. On a "typical" day activities begin at 8:30 am and conclude around 2:30 pm; however, the daily schedule will vary. There are breaks at lunch and other times during the day. Students are expected to attend all scheduled activities. A significant amount of study/preparation outside of class activities is required.
The program schedule will be distributed electronically to incoming IMEI students no later than Friday, June 9, 2017.
Fall orientation is scheduled for Monday, August 7, thru Friday, August 11, 2017.
The program is open to all students admitted to the 2017-2018 entering medical school class at the Carver College of Medicine. Enrollment is limited. Please consider Introduction to Medical Education at Iowa if you are:
- A nontraditional student
- A nonscience major
- New to Iowa
- Below the GPA (3.7) and MCAT (31) or (511) means of last year’s entering class
Students are not charged tuition for IMEI. The Carver College of Medicine provides a $2,900 stipend to help defray the cost of books, student health insurance and living expenses during the program. You will receive the entire stipend within 3-5 days of starting the program, although it will be prorated should you leave the program prematurely.
Apartments are numerous in Iowa City and the surrounding communities. Students needing housing are responsible for making their own arrangements. Please reference the Off-Campus Housing Services website for more information on housing.
The completed application should be submitted no later than Tuesday, April 25, 2017 to be considered for this program.
Applicants will be notified of acceptance to IMEI on a rolling basis and no later than the first week in May. The Carver College of Medicine reserves the right to cancel or substitute an abbreviated program pending interest.